Would you like to know more about the famous National Letter of Intent?
We’ve got you covered! Here at Junior Golf Hub, we know that a letter of intent marks one of the final steps for the junior golfer and their family on the journey from junior golf to college golf. Signing your letter of intent to the school of your dreams is a big deal and signifies a heavy burden being lifted off your shoulders – a tremendous amount of time, effort, practice, blood, sweat and probably tears have led up to this moment. Are you ready to sign? Here’s What You Need to Know (WYNK) about the NLI:
- NLI specifies a student will attend a college for one year with a one-year athletic scholarship.
- NCAA D-I and D-II, NAIA, and NJCAA have NLI signing programs.
- Signing windows open November and last until August.
- NLI is for seniors in high school and is a binding agreement.
- Signing an NLI is very common at top DI programs.
What is the National Letter of Intent?
The National Letter of Intent (NLI) is simply an agreement that specifies a prospective student athlete will attend a given college for one year and the college has agreed to provide an athletic scholarship for one academic year.
Do all colleges offer the National Letter of Intent?
The National Letter of Intent is a contract specifically designed for National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I and Division II schools (DIII schools do not offer athletic scholarships). Most D-I and D-II programs offer the National Letter of Intent with some exceptions most notably the Ivy League schools. National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) schools or Junior Colleges also have NLI programs, but follow separate practices and procedures as they are unaffiliated with the NCAA.
When do I sign a National Letter of Intent?
The NLI program begins in November for prospective student-athletes signing in 2020-21 and enrolling in the 2021-22 school year:
- NCAA Division I, II: Starts November 11th, 2020 – August 1, 2021.
- NCAA Division III: No athletic awards and no recruiting calendar
- NAIA: Anytime, no formal NLI program, non-binding.
- National Junior College Athletics Association (NJCAA): November 1, 2020– August 1, 2021
A final thing to keep in mind is that you will have a deadline from the issuance date for you and your parents or guardian to sign the NLI so make sure to keep track of time!
Enjoy Your Journey!